With apologies to the late James W. Best for appropriating his image (from his 1935 Forest Life in India)

Friday 12 April 2013

Who Reads This Rubbish?

An old friend pestered me repeatedly for a free copy of Weretiger until finally I caved in, even though one of his proudest boasts is that he's never read a book in his life. "I promise you, Pat, if it's the only book I read this side of the grave, I will read it," he said in all earnestness. That was before Christmas. He hasn't looked at it yet, and I don't expect he ever will. Meanwhile a very close family member, bless him, proudly bought a copy as soon as it came out, though I had told him I would send him one. Six weeks later I couldn't wait any longer and asked him what he thought. "I've got as far as the acknowledgements," he replied in all seriousness. I haven't bothered asking again, though really, I shouldn't grumble – he did pay for it, after all.

No comments:

Post a Comment