With apologies to the late James W. Best for appropriating his image (from his 1935 Forest Life in India)

Friday 5 April 2013

Reluctant Congregation


In 1906, Methodist missionary Archibald McMillan - seen here with a man-eating leopard he has just shot dead - recalled passing through a remote aboriginal village in central India one time in the 1890s and telling the headman he would come back the following day, sing some hymns and give the villagers the Good News. "To my surprise," he wrote,"on arriving [the next morning] I found the place deserted, the entire population having fled into the jungle!"

2 comments:

  1. The sign of a good story is that there's nothing left to say!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to call this post 'Cheap Shot (On My Part)', as I feel a bit guilty making fun of someone who basically devoted his whole life to others. It was meant more as a gentle tease - the villagers would have hid whoever he was!

      Delete