With apologies to the late James W. Best for appropriating his image (from his 1935 Forest Life in India)

Wednesday 3 April 2013

Order, Order!

I hate books. I've come to this startling realization after yet another failed attempt to organize my bookshelves. Just when I think, say, I've got all my Hemingways (books by and about) lined up together, I find a rogue volume that's ever so slightly too tall to fit, so it has to go on another, taller shelf. (Warning - crap doodle follows...)


The end result is I can never find anything (a problem compounded by varifocals - fellow wearers will understand). The thing with bookshelves is, you want as many as possible, but you have to make do with fewer, taller ones just so you can accommodate the occasional outsize volumes that some antisocial publishers will insist on publishing. (As for books that also stick out over the edges of shelves, don't get me started.) Paper comes in standard sizes, so why can't books? 

3 comments: