With apologies to the late James W. Best for appropriating his image (from his 1935 Forest Life in India)

Thursday 4 April 2013

California Dreaming

I've only ever really been interested in the past (which is probably why I'm so hopeless at such mundane matters as earning a living). History to me means the untold stories of ordinary people. When I see old film footage, for instance, my eye is always drawn to passers-by, people in the background, faces in the crowd. I'll be watching an episode of The Rockford Files, say, and in the distance - too far away for them to be an extra - there'll be someone strolling along the beach of Paradise Cove. Who were they, I'll wonder, what did they do, and what became of them? But above all I'll be thinking, 'How I wish that was me!'

2 comments:

  1. We used to watch The Rockford Files. Can you still find it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must admit it's a long time since it has been repeated on TV here in the UK as far as I know. There were more than 100 episodes spread over several seasons and they're all available on DVD (I've not got any, but they're on my wish list). Google it - there's loads of info out there, and some great fan/review websites etc. (Ditto with 'Columbo' etc.)

      Delete