With apologies to the late James W. Best for appropriating his image (from his 1935 Forest Life in India)

Monday 8 April 2013

Silly Billy

In January 2009, police in Kwara State in Nigeria astounded local journalists by solemnly parading before them, as the chief suspect in the attempted theft of a Mazda car ... a goat - one handed in to them by a gang of vigilantes who claimed it was a actually a man who turned himself into the animal after they caught him trying to steal the vehicle. The police eventually decided not to charge the goat, instead sensibly cashing in on its celebrity status by selling it for 300 Nigerian dollars. And if you don't believe me, see
and

2 comments:

  1. Impressed by your daily blogging - but it's probably a very helpful practice. And you have so many interesting stories to tell - presumably ones that didn't make it into the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, B. I may have made a rod of my own back by committing to a daily posting, but as you say it is good practice. As for 'interesting stories,' I cut more out of my book than I left in, but not all of it passed muster!

      Delete