With apologies to the late James W. Best for appropriating his image (from his 1935 Forest Life in India)

Saturday 18 May 2013

Those Were the Days

I shudder to think how many words have been penned on the Apollo moon missions – I’ve edited a fair few myself – but it must run into the millions. I think it was Brian Aldiss who said that people won’t ever solve their problems by going into space, but just take them with them. Even so, no one can deny the staggering achievements of NASA in the 1960s and early ‘70s, and the extraordinary bravery of the Apollo astronauts. Two of my favourite books – though strictly speaking they belong to my oldest brother… – are two of the many titles published in the months following the first moon landing. This one came out within 72 hours of splashdown:



This next one is considerably shorter, but punches well above its weight: 


Ryan notes how NASA ‘spent thousands of dollars designing an electric razor with a vacuum cleaner attached to prevent the spacecraft from becoming filled with weightless whiskers, but, as the Apollo 8 crew [Frank Borman, James Lovell, William Anders] demonstrated, shaving foam and a safety razor work just as well...’

4 comments:

  1. Good to have the old shikari musing again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, B. It became too much trying to do a new post every day. Now I'm aiming for a couple a week.

      Delete
  2. Reminds me of the Americans spending millions (allegedly) to develop an instrument that would write in space- the Russians used a pencil...
    (PS- I've tried before to comment- I was going to agree that finding second-hand books sounded very similar to the thrill of second-hand recorded music; but when I tried to put this one up- as I'd FOUND my password, as I was back on my home computer- the damn thing told me I couldn't till I told my computer to enable cookies: they WERE bloody enabled, but at too high a level- so when I DID change it, the damn system had chucked me out- AND people wonder/worry that no-one seems to be following- IT's TOO bLOOMING DIFFICULT to post comments! (Thanks AGAIN, gOOgle!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sage, thanks for following, and for not giving up trying to comment. I don't begin to pretend to understand the workings of Google, cookies etc - or even computers, for that matter. Life's too short to worry about such things.

      Delete